Friday, June 3, 2011

How do I change the terminal cables on my car battery? Why does the positive side have a fuse?

My wife drives a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer ES. Yesterday she drove the car to the store and it worked fine, but when she came out to drive home, the car wasn't getting any power. No dummy lights, no chimes, nothing. I took the battery to walmart and they they said it was fine. I bought a terminal brush and i scrubbed both battery posts and cables clean.



That fixed the problem. Until this morning. She drove the car to work just fine, but after getting out and shutting the door, she tried to lock it with the remote and the whole car was dead again.



Should I consider changing the cable or just the ends? Is it hard?How do I change the terminal cables on my car battery? Why does the positive side have a fuse?did you scrub the inside of the clamp that hooks to the battery ??



the positive post has a fuse to protect your wireing aginst a short circut it will blow before the wires melt causing a fire that will burn up the whole car



replaceing the whole cable is better thain the clamp but if the clamp isnt broken cleaning it will work fine



as you clean the posts wash them with water they need to be shiney clean



you can buy a test light to see wich terminal is the one giving you the problemHow do I change the terminal cables on my car battery? Why does the positive side have a fuse?just follow the cables to where they bolt in take them loose and clean the ends with a wire brush and reinstall, you probably dont need new cables, the positive side has a fuse for overload protection in case your alt has a power surgeHow do I change the terminal cables on my car battery? Why does the positive side have a fuse?you can buy battery ends. all you do is cut the cables as close to the ends as you can get them, peel away some of the rubber coating, insert the cables on the new ends and tighten the bolts on the ends. also, i would check the end on the starter to make sure its clean and tight.How do I change the terminal cables on my car battery? Why does the positive side have a fuse?They sell what are called Marine Battery Terminals at most autopart stores. They're the bolt on new cable clamps. They're not the best, but they're the easiest for most do-it-yourselfers. If you have a butane torch, you could get solder on ends, they are the best. It could just be a loose ground. Check your wiring first. Good luck with it.How do I change the terminal cables on my car battery? Why does the positive side have a fuse?you are getting what is called a parasitic draw from your battery it is usually cased by a bad ground or something is staying on that is not suposed to when the ignition is off





the ground is the black wire on your battery it has the neg. (-) symbol on itHow do I change the terminal cables on my car battery? Why does the positive side have a fuse?take a look at the cable terminals on the battery side. Take a good look at the connection point where the copper cable goes into the terminal. Does it look a little green? Now take a look at the smaller red wires from the battery,,,does it kinda look the same? that greeen stuff will stop anything from getting thru.

Take a spray can of wd40 and spray the wire at that point .Soak it good. Now try to start it. This is just a temporary fix--it gives you a better connection.