Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How should I prepare my car before parking it for a 13 month deployment?

I will be deployed for around 13 months, and the car will be parked outdoors on a paved lot in Texas. I'm not sure whether or not it is a covered lot. What can I do to weatherize my car and protect it while it is not being driven, and what kind of maintainance should I expect to need when I return to get it back into safe, reliable driving condition?How should I prepare my car before parking it for a 13 month deployment?Put some stabil in the gas and drive it some to get it through the whole fuel system.



Armor All all the rubber trim and the wipers



Put the car up on jack stands to keep flat spots from forming on the tires.



You can get a solar trickle charger also to put on the dash it will keep the battery maintained. You will see these sometimes when they ship cars also.



When you get back put some water remover in the gas tank and go fill up with fresh gas. Water will condensate in the tank due to the changes in temperature.



Remove the old wiper blades and get new ones the armor all was just to keep them from sticking to the windshield.



Get a oil change



Take it out for spin and enjoy being home and thanks for serving in the Military!



On a side note if you can look at leaving it with a family member so then can drive it around the block every once in awhile vs letting it set if you can.How should I prepare my car before parking it for a 13 month deployment?Put stabill in the gas tank to prevent the gas from breaking down and disconnect the battery so it doesn`t die on you. also a cover wouldn`t be a bad idea if its not a covered lot.